Business development during Nevis ownership
- In 2012, Ramsay was owned by four shareholder directors. Three of the shareholders wanted to retire and exit the business with Operations Director, Raymond Shepherd, wishing to remain. Nevis acquired the shares of the exiting directors and supported Raymond to step up to Managing Director.
- We worked with Raymond to replace the skills of the exiting directors – promoting from within where possible and supplementing this with external recruitment. During the initial post deal period, Nevis worked with Raymond on a day-to-day basis to ensure a smooth transition.
- To facilitate future growth and better internal communication, the business moved to larger premises. Investment was also made in refreshing the vehicle fleet and in new equipment.
- A renewed brand, improved sales literature and a growth mindset have helped to build on the company’s excellent reputation. This has allowed the business to move into new markets and to access larger projects.
- Improvements to operational systems and management information have allowed the company to better understand profit margins and to target areas for future growth.
- In 2020, James Ramsay celebrated their 100th year in business. This year saw the move of Raymond to Chairman with his sons, Gary and Jamie becoming Managing Director and Service Director respectively.
Nevis sourced and completed the acquisition of boiler hire specialist HCS Energy to broaden the service offering to our customers.
The business has grown significantly, with the number of employees doubling and turnover and profits up more than 150%. The business is well positioned for further growth with a committed and established second tier of management.
Raymond Shepherd, Chairman of James Ramsay, commented:
“Nevis brought a real professionalism to James Ramsay and they have supported us with a wide range of business matters. They have given us great direction as we looked to expand and grow the company into new markets. I have complete trust in the Nevis guys – when they make a promise they keep it – and our ongoing relationship with them goes from strength to strength.”